Check out this list of helpful resources to create a happy and healthy household for you and your canine companion!
- Play Together, Stay Together - K. London & P. McConnell (body language and play)
- The Language of Dogs (DVD) - S. Kalnajs (visual resource on understanding dog body language)
- Off-Leash Dog Play, A Complete Guide to Safety and Fun - R. Bennett & S. Briggs (good guide for owners on understanding dog behavior)
- The Cautious Canine - P. McConnell
- Click to Calm - Emma Parsons (very thorough - includes basics on clicker training)
- Feisty Fido - P. McConnell & K. London
- Help for Your Fearful Dog: a step-by-step guide to helping your dog conquer his fears - Nicole Wilde (full of photographs and case studies, highly recommended)
- Scaredy Dog! Understanding and Rehabilitating Your Reactive Dog - Ali Brown (clear explanation of what is going on with a reactive dog and steps to overcome reactive behavior)
- Way to Go: How to house train a dog of any age - K. London & P. McConnell (short booklet)
- Dogs and Storks - dogsandstorks.com (prenatal education for expecting families with dogs; the blog is excellent for families at all stages, very useful)
- Raising Puppies and Kids Together, A Guide for Parents - P. Silvani & L. Eckhardt (a wealth of information on boundaries to set for puppies and kids to ensure a safe environment)
- Living With Kids & Dogs - livingwithkidsanddogs.com - Colleen Pelar's website on children and dogs (great source)
- Feeling Outnumbered? How to manage and enjoy your multi-dog household - K. London & P. McConnell (very useful)
- MINE! A Guide to Resource Guarding In Dogs - Jean Donaldson
- The Dominance Controversy - Sophia Yin (our training philosophy)
- How to Behave So Your Dog Behaves - Sophia Yin (recommended basic how-to book on manners)
- Click for Joy - Melissa Alexander (recommended resource guide for clicker training)
- The Other End of the Leash - Patricia McConnell (an easy-to-read book on understanding dogs)
- Don't Shoot the Dog - Karen Pryor (basics on learning theory)
- For The Love of a Dog - Patricia McConnell (dogs, humans and emotion, easy read)
Contact a professional for guidance.
- Inga From, CDBC, CPDT-KSA is a certified professional dog trainer and a member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers. Inga specializes in shelter/rescue dogs. Dog behavior is more than just a hobby to Inga it is a full-time job. She has worked in shelter settings for over 10 years.
- Katie Grillaert, owner and CPDT-KA certified trainer at Fetch Dog Training in Minneapolis, has years of experience training rescue, shelter, and foster dogs of all breeds, using dog-friendly training approaches. She is a member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers, and actively continues her education attending national seminars and workshops, studying peer-reviewed training and behavior research, and continually engaging with colleagues in the community.
- Pint Sized Play by Fresh Air Training is a trainer supervised small dog play group great for socializing your dog. A safe, fun alternative to the dog park, safe play for your small dog.
- APDT.com - Association of Pet Dog Trainers (find a certified dog trainer and other information on training)
- dogstardaily.com - Dr. Ian Dunbar's site includes radio podcasts, videos, training textbooks, highly recommended
- drsophiayin.com - Veterinarian Dr. Yin has over 20 free videos on behavior and behavior modification well worth watching